Tuesday 11 March 2008

The Power of Myth



I used to work for a man who was obsessed with Joseph Campbell, but I never got around to reading any of his books. I can probably put that off for a few more years now. This is a link to a torrent to download all 6 hours of an interview/documentary Campbell did shortly before he died. You might want to keep a large pinch of salt handy while you watch.

Update: I started watching part one last night and my first impressions are mixed. On the one hand he clearly knows his stuff. It's fascinating to hear him re-tell some of the lesser known myths and draw parallels between different cultures. On the other hand his logic is sloppy and he's already made some bold assertions without offering any proof beyond saying "it's a fact!". Even the interviewer looks sceptical at times.

Regardless, I'm going to stick at it for a few more episodes and see where he's going. I have the idea that his arguments might build into something more substantial once he has the opportunity to hone in on specifics rather than giving us his general theory of everything.

No comments: